Monday, May 26, 2008
I fell in love with the beautiful quilts on Peg's blog and was inspired to make one similar to this one. I had some blue floral print from Allspice Tapestry on hand for a different project and when I came across some charm packs on clereance at one of my local craft stores I just had to get a couple. Yesterday I had a go at putting together the quilt and was quite pleased with how quick it is to put together. I do wish that I had had the pink floral for the outer boader as I think it would have complimented the overall quilt better as the charm pack was heavy on pink. But in all I am pleased with it and look forward to putting together another soon. I also had a go at doing a peeper (also from Peg's blog) on this quilt and I love the effect it gives.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Whew! I have accomplished quite a bit this week and am feeling pleased with myself. Pat on the back:-)Two dresses, a pair of boys dress pants and a shirt, the 5 remaining potato bags for mum and then with the scrap fabric from the bags I made two skirts. I think I shall go take a nap now. And what a relief to be able to cross off a couple things from my to-do list. I used the Flirty Skirt pattern that can be found on page 16 of the current BH&G Quilts and More issue. I am pleased with how the two skirts turned out as is my Sarah who recieved one of the two skirts that was made today. I also love that I was able to use up leftovers to complete these. I am sure that this pattern will be used often. But ya' know, I think that nap will have to wait as I have some charm squares I am just dying to put together into a quilt. Peg has inspired me with her beautiful quilts to make one of these beauties and I picked up two charm packs of Allspice Tapestry by Joanna Figueroa for moda. I can't wait to get started on it and since I have completed six things on my to-do list for others I feel like I can reward myself. It shall be fun.
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Well I was able to complete 5 of the baked potato bags yesterday that mum had requested. I had sent her this one in the last parcel I sent her way as a fun little extra and she loved it. So she then called to say she wanted a total of eight more. I love this fabric I found at Jo-Ann's and since I was able to get a total of 10 from what I purchased of the fabric I decided to do one for a friend (as promised) and one for my sister, Gail. I love that they are so quick to put together and so versatile in the microwave. So I must hop on back down to Jo-Ann's and get some more batting so that I can complete the other 5 waiting to be done.
Friday, May 9, 2008
I absolutely love doing blessing gowns and outfits for the new little babies and when a friend of mine asked me to do up something special for her newest blessing I was thrilled. She requested something in more of an everyday style rather then the long gown but keeping it white. So we went with Butterick's 3785 and some lovely white batiste fabric. I simply could not resist the urge to do some embroidery work on the dress and am quite pleased with the results. I then decided that a bit of lace was needed but was not happy with my original selection of lace. I then found another bit on Sat. and put it on this morning and I am soooo in love with the final results and I hope that my friend, Rory, will be as well. I just wish I was a better photographer as these photos or terrible and do not do this gorgeous dress justice.
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Whew! 3 hours of sewing and a dress is complete for Mac's neice, Payton. She turns 8 on the 12th and will be baptized on the 31st of the month. I made each of her two sisters their dresses when they were baptized and so wanted to do the same for her as well. I had asked her a while ago what style of dress she wanted and her reply was "something simple". So I took in mind the style of dresses I often she her wearing and found Butterick's #4435. I was pleased when I found this fabric at Jo-Ann's and thought it would be perfect for the dress. However, I was in for disappointment when I got home and found that in the sunlight what I thought was white fabric is actually more of a creamy white. But dispite the color mix-up the dress went was a breeze and I am really starting to get a handle on doing a rolled hem. It is something I have been practicing and I am getting alot more confident with it now. This particular pattern is a fun one, I have done it once before in style A for a girl at church. Here is a look at the completed dress. There was a bit of a breeze going so the hem of the dress kept getting blown so the view of the base of the dress is not as good but you get the idea.
It's been a busy week completing several projects that had been started previously. And then Friday afternoon I started on some dresses for the girls I had been wanting to do using McCall's pattern #5569 and some fabric I purchased a couple of weeks ago. The pattern was fairly quick to do up with just a couple of hours on Friday and then another hour on Saturday after I had gotten to the store to pick up a couple of zippers. I am not sure I am totally happy with the final product but the girls certainly are. I attempted to get photos of the girls in them but Ivy Girl would not let go of her stack of paper long enough to allow me a good photo. And now I am off to make a dress for my husbands neice who will be turning 8 next week and will be getting baptized at the end of the month.